Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Danger in Evolution


Before the Mandelbrot sets, Second Life artists Nessuno Myoo and Kicca Igaly had a sim-wide installation called Danger in Evolution.

Unfortunately I didn't keep their notecard, and the work was gone when I returned yesterday, so my apologies if I misrepresent their intent, but they wished to show the dangers inherent in advanced in technology-- atomic power, robotics, biochemistry, and genetically modified foods.



 Two bombs hidden in a mushroom-shaped metal dome represent the dangers of nuclear fission and fusion.


Note the shock wave at ground level and the cityscape it will soon level.


Robots at workbenches, test tubes, and a double helix represent the twin evils of automation and biochemistry.


I wasn't sure if this was meant to represent a man in a HazMat suit or a robot in a MazMat suit. The hole in the pelvis persuaded me it was the latter. Of course, one wonders why a robot would need to use sterile rubber gloves to manipulate the radioactive material in the chamber.


The above photo reminds me of Homer Simpson in the introductory segment of The Simpsons (watch from about 20 - 25 seconds).

There are children playing next to drums full of radioactive waste...


... and robotic figures circling the maelstrom...


... and  spiders. I think the artists missed a trick by not using instead the cockroaches that will survive the conflagration we are unleashing upon ourselves:


There are also eyeballs-- hundreds of them.



I suppose (as I said, I no longer have the notecard) they represent the human collective, or at least the part of it that sees the dangers inherent in our technologies.

I have to so say, when I see skulls or eyeballs in a piece of art I immediately suspect it's crap. In this case, it's not. The build is well-planned and well-executed, and Nessuno and Kicca are warning us about technologies that pose a threat to our continued existence.

No comments: