Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Star Ruh-Roh

Written 16 May, 2012

Star Ruh-Roh

I've no idea how I failed to notice this before, but recently I did.

When you fly at low altitudes at night, the stars approach the horizon:


The above photo was taken at 150 meters.

The photo that follows was taken at 500 meters. The stars aren't quite so close to the horizon now.


Uh-oh, looks like dawn is coming. Hold on a second... Got it! Midnight is reset:


Here's what happens at 4050 meters:


Notice there are no stars whatsoever in the bottom 3/5 of the picture. Second Life is acting as if the horizon is at or just below my avatar's altitude.

I popped up to 20,000 meters, then 100,000, then 1,000,000 and the configuration of the stars was just the same; they took up the top 2/5 or so of my screen.

My avatar was wrecked, however.


Oh, the things I do in the name of science!

No comments: