Thursday, October 28, 2010

The Bob Saga XXXIII: Art Nation


Written 28 October, 2010

The Bob Saga

XXIII: Art Nation

"What is this place?" Sweetie asked.

"It's Art Nation," said Neelix. "It's where the Brooklyn is Watching folks are hiding out these days."

I looked around. "I wonder if I have time to set out a display. I know art when I see it, and this certainly isn't it."


"Don't be so harsh, Chey," said Sweetie. "Look. There's some good work here."


"What, this TV antenna?" I said.


"Maybe so," I said grudgingly. "And it would be difficult to top those robots, anyway."

"See that sign area over there?" Neelix asked.


"I thought that was the artwork," I said.

"There's something you should see. A sign. In fact, it gave me this." He dropped a notecard on me.

I read it aloud.

DISAPPOINTED by the death of Second Life art as we know it? Don't be. This All-Hallows Eve will see the replacement of mundane and boring SL art with an astonishing, glorious, maniacally ingenuous presentation of a new and exciting genre: Criminal Performance Art. You must not miss its debut!

What is Criminal Performance Art? It can be many things-- a purloined letter, crown jewels from Bill and Melinda Gates' safe, the secret recipe for Coca-Cola-- so long as it is skillfully and artfully appropriated and deemed Found Objects of Others. And so: Criminal Performance Art!

Artists! Art critics! Curators! Reporters! Criminals! Patrons! Especially Patrons! Stand by for your discrete individualized invitations. Cheyenne Palisades and the accursed Sweetie need not apply!

It was signed Not ImSoNotaDiva Bartlett.

"I got an invitation," Neelix said, "but it's no copy and no mod, so I can't give you one."

"Lame-ass permissions system," grumbled Sweetie.

When it comes to getting around rules, I'm nothing if not inventive-- and most of what I know I learned from Sweetie. "Just copy all and paste the text into a new notecard," I said. And that's what Neelix did.

No comments: