Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Bob Saga: XXVIII: Flat Pack

Written 26 October, 2010

The Bob Saga

XXVIII: Flat Pack

I finally got my visa. I had to take a test.

"Topography isn't my strong suit," I said, taking canvas and boards from a box. "What am I supposed to be assembling?"

"It's our Poang chair," said the examiner. "With an umlaut above the a. It's a brilliant example of our flat-pack philosophy. You'll have to deal with flatpacks if you visit Sweden. Maybe you'd like to listen to Dancing Queen again to get the subliminal assembly messages?"

"I couldn't stand it one more time," I said. "Here, will this do?"

"Close enough," he said. "Now just pay the fee and the visa is yours."

"That will be one million Lindens," said the avatar at the reception counter. "That's $100L for the fee itself and $999,900 for the Volvo surtax."

"One million Lindens?" I said. "That's highway robbery!"

"No, that's Danegeld," she said.

I couldn't wait to get back to Whimsy and show Sweetie the clue I had picked up in Raoul's office.

No comments: