Sunday, December 27, 2009

Feels Like Home

Feels Like Home

Written 27 December, 2009

I should perhaps tell my readers about my exciting trip to the frozen north.

When I paid Moon Fairymeadow a large sum in U.S. dollars for her grandfathered sim (a rare commodity that brings high prices!) I sent the money to her old account.

Oopsie!

I canceled the first transaction and paid her at the proper eddress.

I thought that was that, but how naive is me! The money, you see, was held up for about ten days, first to clear my bank (as I paid directly from my bank account rather than my card), and then while the money was in transit from Paypal back to my bank.

I ordered up some more money from the money machine, but when I flew on Monday my bank account was running low.

Because my truck is blown up and dead in Florida, I found a Toyota Camry on eBay and bought a ticket to Islip in Long Island. My plan was to pick up the car and drive it to Sweetie's house, a distance of about 65 miles.

My plan was to pick up cash to pay for the car from the Wachivia branch in Islip.

But I didn't factor in having to sit for nine long hours in the Philadelphia airport while U.S. Airways jockeyed flight teams and aircraft all around the continent to clear the backlog from the previous weekend's snowstorm.

Apparently the FAA didn't factor that in either, for their website showed green lights all across the nation just before I left my house for the Atlanta airport.

So, I got into Islip after dark. The banks were all closed. I ran around promoting money and grumbling because the seller didn't want to take Paypal. Ninety dollars short of my goal, I left my bank card in the machine at Wachovia.

Wouldn't you know it, with me all out of options, the seller was THEN happy to take Paypal.

I wound up driving at eleven at night on unfamiliar roads in an unfamiliar car. It would have been horrible, but Sweetie was on duty as my OnStar girl. She guided me safely home.

To her home, I mean. Which, after three months in residence this fall, feels like my home, too.

No comments: