Wednesday, January 10, 2007

SecondLifeAcide


Written 5 January, 2007

SecondLifeAcide

This is my last maudlin piece for the immediate future, I swear to God.

Second Life is either the best thing or the worst thing that has ever happened to me.

I’m not sure which.

On the positive side, I’ve had a great time.

That should be enough.

But there’s more.

My eating habits have improved, and I’ve lost maybe 30 pounds since I was rezzed in late October. I’m not sure how that happened, but it started when I first logged onto SL. Maybe it was because I hardly left the keyboard for three days and got all that refined sugar out of my system (having the stomach flu at the same time helped!). Whatever the trigger, I’m losing weight.

My curiosity and creativity have been engaged. I have a world to explore, and it’s my oyster. My excess energy is spilling over into projects like this blog and writing songs.

I’ve met people who are smart and witty and considerate—geeky people who, like me, are a bit of an awkward fit in our first lives.

(I’m thinking of Sorcha [her blog is linked] who is young and beautiful and smart, and has found a place in her Second Life that has somehow escaped her in her first. This place is made for people like her—and, I suppose, me.)

My first life is comfortable and easy and rewarding-- but my second life is fabulous! I have a wonderful home (two, in fact), a beautiful volcanic island, an extensive wardrobe, fabulous jewelry, gadgets galore, and an extensive circle of friends.

But there are negatives.

I’ve written about my computer woes. They don’t count.

But long-dormant feelings have been awakened, and I’m not at all sure that’s a good thing. I’ve dared to love, and love can, and often does, lead to heartbreak.

That’s what’s making me crazy.

I’m wondering, at the moment, if I should just hit the big red X and close my Second Life forever.

SecondLifeAcide.

-----

Photo: R.I.P., Cheyenne Palisades

2 comments:

Aimee said...

I can't even call this my Second Life anymore Chey! It has become part of my life. I'm not sure that it is a good thing either. But I can't do without it! And I agree with you about all the good things SL has brought to our lives. Don't stop Chey! Love is always a good thing. It's hard to find. I know I've never really found it at all until now. If it leads to heartbreak at least you know you have a heart to break. At least you can know that you loved hard and you loved well. That's what I tell myself anyway : )

Cheyenne Palisades said...

It was Shakespeare, I'm sure, who said (well, wrote) "'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all." I hope that's true.

Thanks, Sorcha.